Sunday, December 21, 2008

Santa-phobia

Joe and I have this special relationship with my neice Lydia. She is so like me it's scary sometimes, which is why I think she kinda klings to us, and why we don't mind it at all! Anyways tonight was the annual Nelson Christmas Party for my Dad's side of the family. Everyone meets in Thatcher and we have dinner and this man comes dressed as Santa Clause and everyone who is single (infants to adults no matter what age) has to sit on his lap and he gives them a toy car. Since the first time my sister Nicole put Lydia on his lap, from then on out she had been TERRIFIED of Santa.... yes COMPLETELY TERRIFIED. Last year when they put her on his lap, at first she screamed and reached out for her mom, then when Santa started to hold her, she turned her vengance on him and she seriously no joke began to punch him anywhere she could... face, chest, leg.... it was the funniest thing I have EVER seen. Then last year on Christmas morning, she would NOT go near her stocking or the present marked "To:Lydia---- From:Santa" and she absolutley refused to touch it..... so so so weird and funny. Anyways, this year when we got to the party, Joe asked her "So are you going to punch Santa in the face this year?" and she said "No, I'm gonna sit on the fake Santa's lap"..... apparently to try to lessen her anxiety, her sister had told her it was just a fake Santa and that means he was not scarry so sit or talk to...... anways she was all good to go, until he got there.... then she klung to her Dad and then she ran over and sat by Joe and I in the furthest corner away from him. I said "Are you going to sit on the fake Santa's lap?" and she was all ...."No, he is the real one." so we sat there while they called other kid's names and when my baby cousin Ellie Sue started to cry, Lydia teared up and said "She just wants her daddy." and was all symphathetic. So cute. Then when it came her time to go, she was not having it.... so I told her I would sit on his lap and she could sit on mine.... this is the video of the experience. It went well at first, until Santa tried to tickle her, and then the crying and screaming begins.... enjoy!

Anyways, she is so freakin cute. I have a special place in my heart for her. My sister and I both pulled up to the party at the same time, and she jumped out of the car and ran as fast as she could to Joe and I. Joe lifted her up in the air and I she didn't have tights on so I could see her little underwear. I said "Lydia, where are your tights? I can see your undies." and she replies.... "Yeah, they're new!" ....She is so sassy, independent and honest....oh man she and I must have been good friends in Heaven.

Oh and we made it to Thatcher in 2 hours.... we didn't leave soon enough and got stuck driving behind my Dad who drive 5-10 UNDER the speed limit..... it took 3 and 1/2 hours to get home. I was bored to tears and actually cried out of frustration for a few......its pretty funny now I guess.

And if you didn't notice in the video, I got my hair permed on Saturday. It's still new so it looks like Bob Marley hair until it relaxes but I love it all the same.

No comments: